STATION MOSTAR was built from 27 August 1884 to 13 June 1885, when the section of narrow gauge railway Metković (Croatia) – Mostar in the length of 42.4 km was opened to traffic. The first train on the test run passed on 12 April 1885 from Mostar to port of Metković. Because of the military and technical reasons, it was decided that the railway towards the port of Metković is built on the right bank of the Neretva River. The Austro-Hungarian government chose Karl Schwartz from Vienna as a builder of Southern Line. Construction began in 1884 and ended in 1885. In the reception building in Mostar station the railway administration and railway archives were located until the beginning of 1992 when during the war events building was set on fire. In the station system there was a repair shop for locomotives, wagons and stokeholds, as well as parking space for locomotives.
STATION ČAPLJINA – Railroad with narrow gauge or narrow gauge railway Gabela – Zelenika was abolished in 1976, while the last Ćiro thundered through Čapljina on 6 November, 1966. Station building in Čapljina was demolished in 1998. There are only four plane trees that keep the memory of narrow-gauge railway.
STATION GABELA is located 6.7 meters above sea level, and it was the starting point for narrow gauge railways (0.76 m) Gabela – Zelenika in Bay of Kotor (Montenegro), Hum – Trebinje and Uskoplje – Gruž in Dubrovnik (Croatia). Those were railways with primarily military and strategic importance opened to traffic in July 1901. This station was converted into a stop on 29 November, 1966, when railway with normal tracks Sarajevo – Ploče (Croatia) was opened for traffic. It has permanently stopped operating on 31 May, 1976, when railway Čapljina – Dubrovnik and Hum – Nikšić (Montenegro) was abolished.
STATION SJEKOSE is located on 146, 7 meters above sea level, it is place where trains crossed and loading of goods was carried out. Former railway transport forwarding office was also called Dardaneli entrance to the valley of the Neretva River. Station building was demolished at the end of the 1980s. The station had three tracks.
STATION HRASNO (village Brštanica) is located at 245 meters above sea level, it is a place where trains crossed and loading of goods was carried out. It is located on a plateau in the village Brstanica in Hrasno. Formerly it was a very important railway station where locomotives were supplied by coal and water from the reservoir through water tower („gran“). Cistern / tank is located above the station, in once landscaped park in Carska ograda (Imperial fence). It is a unique building on the railways in Bosnia and Herzegovina and beyond. The tank is supplied by rainwater which was collected to canals and three opened collector tanks, and beneath them closed reinforced concrete tank was built, with capacity of 7000 cubic meters of water. It was the largest structure of reinforced concrete applied in hydraulics in this part of Europe.
STATION HUTOVO is located at 310 meters above sea level. Reception building with typical construction (as in Zavala and Sutorina) had a water tank. Station had four tracks and military barrier along the dead-end track (Šturc) and Heizen (heat) stokehold which was later partly converted to the commodity warehouse and residential area. Station could receive trains to 90 shaft and two working locomotives. From Hutovo to Čapljina and vice versa drove the local train called Boko by personal name Boko common in this area. Local train for Dubrovnik and vice versa also operated from Hutovo.
GUARDHOUSE / VIEWPOINT ZELENIKOVAC – Here was a railway stop for local trains. It is the building where guard and rail manager lived. Preserved building along the route is the magazine for tool and wagon of railway group (tenth) of workers who used to miantain a certain section of the railway. Below the viewpoint there is an artificial lake Vrutak / Hutovo. The water from the lake drains through 8.8 km long tunnel on the turbines in Svitava. The lake is filled with water of Trebišnjica River, which flows through concrete channel (its former riverbed) in length of 68 km to Trebinje. Concrete channel is the largest concrete slab in the world. The lake has a variety of fish species; carp, trout, eel, minnows, river shells … “There’s a kind of fish that is very tasty and boosts sexual potency (…) Potent man is told: Ah man, you must have eaten fish from Popovo”, wrote the Turkish traveler Evliya Çelebi around 1660, when he passed through this part of Herzegovina.
STATION TURKOVIĆI is located at 278 meters above sea level. It is a place where trains crossed and loading of goods was carried out. Reception building is occupied and has a tank with water. The people of village Turkovići used to be the best anglers and hunters of wild ducks, when water of Trebišnjica River flooded Popovo Polje. Individuals could capture in a basket 700 pieces of duck per night. People from Turkovići had each up to 10 boats called “Barćele” and a ship. They also did the services of transportation over the mud (water) for travelers from “Gornje Hrasno” to train in Turkovići. On the other side of the water someone would call “O Ilija (or someone else) give me a ride.” This call saved a man from Hrasno who got lost in America in an unknown place, and did not know the language. In anguish, man on the street exclaimed: “Oooo Ilija Balić give me a ride home.” Countryman approached and saved the man. This place is a viewpoint from which one can see a large part “Popovsko Polje” and two famous caves Crnulja and Doljašnica and a thousand of small ones that swallowed most of the water while the field was sinking. Their water springs from Svitava and “Hutovo Blato” to Metković and along the coast to Neum and Rijeka Dubrovačka near Dubrovnik.
GUARDHOUSE / VIEWPOINT TRNČINA had the phone. Lineman and railway headman, who managed the group of railway workers who were maintaining a certain section of the railway, lived there. It has a water tank as well. On the left side, opposite the guardhouse, there was the magazine for workers’ tools and railway wagons. Local trains stopped here. Below in the field is a votive chapel of st. Ana.
STATION VELJA MEĐA is located at 291 meters above sea level. It is a place where trains crossed and loading of goods was carried out. Station building was built around thirty meters above the track on stone retaining walls and rock, and there are stone stairs that lead to it. Lately a new access was built to the facility which has been converted into residential building with a water tank. The smaller room along the route was used for operational traffic activities. Above the village there are hills rich in a variety of medicinal plants from which the bees used to collect a whole wagon of honey. Freight train would stop at the open line and unloading of chambers with bees, and loading of hives full of honey would be carried out.
GUARDHOUSE / VIEWPOINT DVRSNICA had the phone. Lineman and railway headman, who managed the group of railway workers who were maintaining a certain section of the railway, lived there. On the left side, opposite the guardhouse, there was the magazine for workers’ tools and railway wagons. Here stopped the local trains receiving passengers from the village from the other side of the field.
STATION RAVNO is located at 319 meters above sea level. Station reception building with typical construction is now catering and tourist facility. During the time of railways, from the direction of the field road crossed the tracks on a transitional ramp and continued the way in front of Burić Inn, post office, inspectorate, behind the station building and further to the town center and Zavala. Road and civilian buildings were enclosed with railings (iron fence) from gauge area. At the station there were three station tracks and it was able to receive trains with 90 axles. Besides the reception building, station merchandise magazine also remained. Narrow gauge railway from Ravno on one side went further over Dvrsnica and “Velja Međa” to Hutovo, while towards Zavala it descended on “Mala Dubravica” and hill Ljuljevac down the longest retaining wall (500 m) on the route, with the decline of 12 per thousand. On that section, there si an iron bridge / viaduct that spans a deep defile of the canyon. After the viaduct route enters a tunnel Gradina L = 340.75 m. Just before the entrance to the tunnel there is a stone marking of 224th km of railway from Sarajevo. The tunnel has been broken through in a year.
STATION ZAVALA is located at 266 meters above sea level, and it is a typical station building as in Hutovo and Sutorina. Station of second category with the dispatcher of trains, later was reduced to station forwarding department. Reception building and track area were built on high retaining walls with passage, a village pass for horse wagon, which was buried when the partisan mausoleum was built. When the retaining wall was built, the emperor in Vienna was told that it couldn’t be built. He answered with a question „How about a kilo of stone, a kilo of gold? “ Yes. And it was built. In Zavala all local, passengers and high-speed trains made a stop in order to „scaffold“ to train to seaside in Slano in Croatia. At the entrance to the station area from the direction of Ravno there was a backup water reservoir for supplying locomotives with water over water tower (gran) in special circumstances. Coal pump pumped out water into the water tank (reservoir) from railway tanks. Station received passangers from a wide hinterland and the coast of Dubrovnik. It is interesting to mention that until the abolition of the railway in 1975 from Dubrovnik to Zavala, in the summer season in the afternoon one tourist train would drive every day.
GUARDHOUSE/VIEWPOINT GRMLJANJI had a phone. Lineman and railway headman, who managed the group of railway workers who were maintaining a certain railway section, lived there. Beside the guardhouse there is a warehouse for workers’ tools and railway wagons. Local trains stopped here. They received passengers from the hinterland of Grmljani.
STATION POLJICE is located at 270 meters above sea level, it is a place where trains crossed and loading of goods was carried out. Station building is typical construction above track area on the retaining wall, and next to the building there is a water pit. Merchandise store and the output signal (traffic light) towards Grmljani still exist. The station received passengers on both sides of the field. Even now there is a road connected with the main road Trebinje – Stolac – Mostar. In the village there are two Orthodox churches, and a necropolis with 16 tombstones in two groups. On the plateau of the station there is a partisan monument.
GUARDHOUSE / VIEWPOINT DIKLIĆI had the phone. Lineman and railway headman, who managed the group of railway workers who were maintaining a certain railway section, lived there. Next to the building there is a water pit. Beside the guardhouse there is a warehouse for workers’ tools and railway wagons. Local trains stopped here. They received the passengers on both sides of the railway line.
STATION JASENICA LUG is located at 266.8 meters above sea level, it is a place where trains crossed and loading of goods was carried out. Reception building is typical construction as well as in Hrasno. The building is located on flat terrain of Lug, and there is a water pit next to it. The tourist guide from 1926 says that this station is 3 hours of walk away from remote village Grebci in which there are 30 caves.
STATION HUM is located at 270 meters above sea level, reception station building with typical construction has two blocks, as in Trebinje and Uskoplje (one block each). Station area was built near the village Hum on Bijelin Do, the place where caravan routes crossed since antiquity and the Middle Ages. Since 1901, Hum has become the largest railway junction on the railway line from Sarajevo to Zelenike and Podgorica in Montenegro. After 1966 it was the largest railway hub, shunting, organizing and transit station towards Zelenike and Dubrovnik, and separation station to Trebinje and Nikšić. The station had 14 tracks (8 manipulative) and exit to Trebinje and Uskoplje. For turning locomotives, and even entire compositions, they used triangle, not a rotator. Triangle was actually connecting railway tracks for Trebinje and Uskoplje. Using two water towers (gran) locomotives received water. Workshop for repairing wagons and locomotives Mostar had branch “wagon workshop” in Hum. Locomotives were receiving coal. Railway inspectorate was also operational. In one round (for 24 hours) over 60 regular and special trains passed through (freight, passenger, local, fast, and motor). In 1967, “mini directorate” was established in Hum. It was the headquarters of the Working units of traffic-transport activities (STD) in the system of Railway Transport Company Sarajevo, for unrelated railway network south of Čapljina. While the trains whistled, beat and roared through Hum, a large number of passengers and railway staff were moving through the station. After the abolition of the railway and dismantling the tracks in the summer of 1976, on the track area in front of the railway station a facility was built for production of “heads for thread cutting” by Tool Industry from Trebinje in cooperation with the Czech company “Nažadi” from Prague. The factory was closed in 1991. During the war station administration building was partly demolished.
STATION USKOPLJE was located at 350 meters above sea level. Reception building on two floors was built of stone. Beside the official premises on the ground floor and the restaurant on the first floor of the building, there were three, and on the loft two more apartments for railway officers. The building had all the necessary supporting facilities. There were three input signals for three entrances to the station, which was smaller hub and shunting yard till the abolition of railway Zelenička on 1 July, 1968. From Hum one railway line was entering, and from Uskoplje two lines that went to the east and south went out. On the exit turn railway Zelenička curved to the left below the village Uskoplje and flexed along the hill with a rise of 17.5 per thousand towards Glavska and further to Zelenika in the Bay of Kotor. Other railway went out in the direction towards Ivanica and through the tunnel entered the Republic of Croatia, and down the slope of 27.8 per mille down the serpentine to Dubrovnik. Because of the large railway slope, freight compositions were here divided, and with two steam locomotives of series 83 descended to Dubrovnik. Station had 7 railway tracks (third was the transit to Dubrovnik) with 14 switches. After the abolition of railway Zelenička three tracks remained and rotator for turning locomotives (11,90) of which only “pivot” and the signal box remained. Several movies were recorded here, and on Ivanica there was a “cowboy town” where five Winnetou films were made from 1962 to 1966. The city was attractive to passengers who rode the train to Dubrovnik and Zelenika and vice versa.
STATION TREBINJE is located at 275.6 meters above sea level, and it was a major railway hub. Station building along the river Trebišnjica with typical construction is like the one in Hum, but shorter for one block. It had six tracks and dead end 7 and 8 for commodities and a military warehouse. It was a head station for traffic officers of railway stations and supporting staff from Hum to Bileća. Formerly, through railway station Trebinje daily would pass: 4 passengers, fast and 2 motorized trains, 4 pairs of local and about 22 freight train. It had up to 25 steam engine locomotives and from 1970 diesel-hydraulic locomotives of series 740 as well. One steam locomotive of series 83 has remained as a museum piece. The station has supporting facilities as well: the battery station, a workshop for repairing locomotives and railway inspectorate, warehouse, rotator (turntable) for turning locomotives, pit with a hand pump. Tall building of water tanks from which the locomotive received water through water tower (gran) is still standing.